Fortunately, there are plenty of products that we can use to get rid of bad smells. The method you use to remove odors from your home depends on the cause of the odor. One common source of odor is that of having pets in the home. Strong odors, from cat boxes, can linger in the house for days, even after eliminating the source of the smell. If your pet soils your floor or carpet, wash the area thoroughly with warm, soapy water. Make sure you then air the room by using the fan to circulate the air. Use a household cleaning agent or products such as vinegar to neutralize the odor. If the carpet is soiled, soak the soiled area with a cleaning agent as directed. Avoid rubbing since this is may spread the stain or push the odor further into fabric.
Baking soda is also effective in absorbing and neutralizing odors. Baking soda comes with the added benefit of being good at absorbing moisture and can be used to remove wet stains that are sources of bad smells, such as pet urine. You can use citrus fruits, such as oranges and lemons, to deodorize the home. However, you should avoid using them on fabrics since they can degrade or discolor some materials.
Sometimes the source of an offensive odor is located in an awkward or hard to clean area. Consider areas such as a musty basement, stale-smelling closet, or crawl space. For these types of smells, you can use baking soda to neutralize the smell. Pour baking soda around the smelly area and leave it to sit for about an hour then vacuum it away.
Charcoal and cat litter can be used to absorb odors also. Leave cat litter or charcoal in an open box until you are satisfied that the odor has been absorbed. After the odor disappears, throw away the cat litter or charcoal since the odor molecules are trapped inside. This is most effective for musty or damp odors.
To remove common kitchen odors, try the following:
- Cabbage, fish, broccoli – place some vinegar in a small bowl next to the source of the smell. The vinegar will absorb the smell.
- Casserole dish spills in the oven and burns – sprinkle some salt on top of the burned mess. This will eliminate the offensive smoky odor.
- Food spatters inside your microwave – mix two tablespoons of baking soda with one cup of water. Place the mixture in a suitable bowl and microwave the mixture on the highest setting for 2-3 minutes.
- Burned popcorn in the microwave – mix 5 cloves, one-half of a chopped lemon, and one and a half cups of water. Boil the mixture in a microwave. Leave the mixture to sit and cool down before removing.
- Mystery smells from the fridge – have a good look at the contents of the fridge and throw away any furry or moldy food. Check for any expired food or drinks and throw them out. Place several slices of lemon inside the fridge and wipe down all the walls using white vinegar.
- Rancid wooden counters and chopping blocks – scrub the wood thoroughly using a mixture of baking soda and lemon. Rinse well then season with mineral oil.
Snyder Heating & Air Conditioning is a family-owned Jacksonville Florida heating and air conditioning company that offers all clients top-notch installation, repair, and maintenance of their HVAC systems. Snyder’s technicians are highly trained and certified with experience in the repair and installation of a wide range of HVAC systems. Contact us today and allow us take care of all your HVAC needs.