As Halloween approaches, the days finally cool down and the nights become tranquil. The key to staying comfortable during this bewitching time is to make sure that your HVAC isn’t playing any tricks on you. What problems can arise if you haven’t maintained your HVAC system? Here are just a few of the ghastly surprises that could be waiting:
- Poor indoor air quality: When you are breathing in less-than-stellar air, you could experience unpleasant symptoms such as dull headaches, unexplained fatigue, and dizziness.
- Skin issues: If your HVAC system isn’t doing its job, do you know what is lurking in your home? Dust, mites, and other creepy things can create or increase your chances of skin rashes and allergies.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): VOCs are based chemicals that are found in many homes. Check your cleaners, air fresheners, solvents, and even your hobby supplies for their ingredients. If a higher level of VOCs is flying about, you can experience nasty issues including headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
These issues are scary enough to make you want to hibernate. But fear not! Regular HVAC maintenance can scare away these problems and more:
- Annual maintenance: Just like you need a yearly checkup to keep in good working order, so does your HVAC. Schedule an inspection and maintenance work every year by a trusted professional to stay healthy and avoid surprises.
- Filter away: Whether you are using your air conditioner or your heater, your filters are working hard to trap certain particles from invading your breathing space. Replace these filters about every 3 or 4 months to keep the system working optimally.
- Clean your ducts: Filters can only do so much – don’t forget your ducts are part of the process too! Keep these clean to keep humidity down and to allow proper airflow throughout your home. Regular professional maintenance can find issues and repair then before the issues become ghoulish.
- Use dehumidifiers and air purifiers: Dust, mold, and other particles simply love to invade your home. Even with air filters and regular maintenance, some pesky particles will still sneak in. As an added defense against unwanted guests, use a dehumidifier plus an air purifier to prevent dust and pollution from getting together and creating havoc with your indoor air.
If you prefer a treat instead of a trick this Halloween, contact the experts at Snyder Heating & Air Conditioning. Regardless of the size, age, or make of your current HVAC system, we will make sure that it runs smoothly and efficiently all year round. Banish ghastly air forever!
Improve My Indoor Air Quality!