In today’s economic climate, everyone is justifiably looking for ways to live frugally and cut down on expenses. One area where you might be inadvertently spending more than necessary is your energy and utility bill. There are a lot of different ways to cut down on your use of power and thus save on your monthly utility bills. Saving power not only helps you but also your environment. It helps in preventing the depletion of the ozone layer due to harmful gases and prevents global warming and the resultant weather extremes, which we are already facing.
Here are some simple tips for saving on your energy bill:
- Switching off stuff rather than leaving them idling is one of the best ways of stopping waste energy. This applies to everything around your home that doesn’t need a pilot light.
- Your home air conditioning system can also be an energy hog if not properly installed and maintained.
- Set the thermostat a few degrees higher than desired in summer and a few degrees lower than desired in winters. With humidity control, you can still be comfortable while saving significantly on your energy bills.
- Set your air conditioner thermostat on AUTO and not on FAN; this will help you save considerably on your power usage.
- Check for and remove any blockages; when the air is able to flow freely and circulate well, it will help your HVAC unit to function efficiently, saving on your utility.
- The Florida Public Service Commission recommends that the ideal thermostat setting for a well-maintained ac unit in the Jacksonville, FL area in the summer is 78 degrees; if you set your thermostat any lower, it will make your ac unit stay on longer, not cool any better. After 78 degrees, the average extra cost of one degree lower setting is estimated to be 12%, and it increases even more for lower settings. If you set your thermostat at 70 degrees, your utility bills can go up by an astounding 100%, which means your power bill doubles.
- Your thermostat setting might be off; this happens more frequently than most people might realize. Checking your air conditioner’s thermostat thermometer before the peak summer might be prudent, as there have been instances where the setting has been off by as much as 10 degrees.
- In some instances, pets crawl under the house and find or create a gap in the cool air duct and enjoy themselves! Your pet stays cool while you get hot under the collar at your astronomical energy bills. If you notice an unusual increase in your energy bill, call for an energy auditor who will come and identify the root cause of the problem.
- Unbelievably, sometimes people place rugs or carpets and totally block the intake air vents which are usually located close to the floor.
These are some of the ways in which your utility might be higher than normal. At Snyder Heating and Air Conditioning, we are aware of the cost of having your ac unit working throughout in the hot and humid summers of Jacksonville, Florida. At Snyder, we supply, install, maintain and service all kinds of air conditioners and HVAC systems. We have been looking after the cooling needs of the Jacksonville, Florida people for the past 40 years. We are known for our commitment to our customers and for being able to service and fix any issue you might have with your ac unit. We are one of the largest air conditioning companies in Northeast Florida. Stop by our showroom or call us today for your free estimate.